Monday, June 20, 2005

Finally, I'm Cold in Iceland

Man, I went on quite the tour today, let me tell you. I went to the northern part of Iceland around Lake Myvatn, which is supposedly only about 150 miles from the Arctic Circle, and I can well believe it. It's supposed to to get the least rainfall of any area in Iceland, and is usually around the high 50's or 60's in the summer. Someone clearly alerted them I was coming because it rained the entire day and it was FREEZING. 6 degrees Celsius, with a biting wind that made me feel like I was standing outside in my underwear instead of superthick wool pants. I saw some beautiful things, but I suffered for the beauty, I suffered for it. Had another great night tonight, although quieter than last night. Saw Crash and then nipped in to Sirkus Bar -- Sirkus was totally cool, great music, great atmosphere. Crash was amazing. A couple of people in the U.S. had told me that it was the best movie of the year, and then Sigrun, one of the lovely Icelandic girls from last night, was telling Stuart and I we had to see it. So I was trying not to have high expectations, but I was completely blown away.
Here's a picture of a crater on the edge of Myvatn Lake. Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Also a picture of the place where two tectonic plates are pulling apart -- Man, this country is a geologist's dream, between the volcanoes and the tectonic plates and the geothermal springs. And the herring! OK, geologists wouldn't care about the herring, but I had to mention it.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Yen said...

Damn I haven't seen a crater like that since I was fourteen. Taking it easy on the chocolate helped. You might want to let Iceland know.

9:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home