Sunday, June 19, 2005

Geysirs! Waterfalls! Sheep!

I finally got a decent night's sleep last night. Of course I thought about heading out at 11pm and tearing it up until 3am or so, but reason and exhaustion prevailed. Even though it was Saturday night. Yesterday was "shop 'til you drop" day, literally. I only made it until about 2pm before I was sitting on a bench sucking down fruit juice trying to gather the strength to make it up the hill home. But before I did, I managed to visit many expensive clothing stores, tourist knick-knack purveyors, and the kebab stand, of course. I also went to the indoor flea market, which was amazing and tacky and full of dried fish. I swear, there were 5o different kinds of dried fish in the food area of the flea market. Apparently there is at least one kind you are supposed to eat as a snack with butter. I'll let you know how that is once I try it. And I will try it, I promise. I had monkfish for dinner last night, but it was wrapped in bacon and steamed or something, not dried. It was kind like a cross between lobster and fish -- not flaky at all, but very meaty. The rest of the flea market was full of (probably pirated) videos, dvds, heavy metal T-shirts, jewelry, used clothes, old china, and tons of furs of every kind. Fur is kind of big here in Iceland -- it seems like it's part of the culture. So if you're a PETA fan, you do not want to go to Reykjavik.
Here's a picture of some dried fish at the market:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And, just so you have something to look at besides dried fish, here are pictures of the view from the top of Hallgrimskirkja Church, one block from my hotel, and a picture of Gullfoss waterfall.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home